Visit our website!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Guest Instructor Nathan Dennett is Coming!

We are so excited and pleased to have guest instructor Nathan Dennett teaching our 4:30 class on Wed., Oct. 17!

 You won't want to miss this class. Nathan is a six-time International Yoga Asana Champion who owns Bikram Yoga Sutherland Shire in Sydney, Australia and is a judge for yoga championships. 

He will also be doing posture clinics at the Bikram Yoga Sandy studio this weekend.  
Come to a deeper understanding of the set-up, proper alignment, and full expression of each asana. 
At this clinic, Nathan will explore the full range of the Bikram Yoga Beginning Series using demonstrations, explanations and plenty of practical information. 
*Please note they've dropped the price back down to the early bird special pricing - $55 per day or $110 for both days. Buy online or at the Sandy studio.

Nathan Dennett — Director and Principal of Bikram Yoga Sutherland Shire

Photo of Nathan Dennett

What are your personal tips to students at Bikram Yoga Sutherland Shire?

Don’t  give up yet! That point where you’re about to give up is right when you’re about to have a breakthrough- don’t let a physical plateau put you off either… As a teacher I always see (and say) that there’s always room for more! I didn’t get into my current shape by wishing and hanging about!

What is your most embarrassing moment while teaching yoga?

I’m quite happy to be the first one laughing at anything. But embarrassing doesn’t happen often. But
  1. Trying to squeeze water out of my stupid plastic water bottle when the lid blew off and water drenched the Beginner in the back row! He didn’t know what was going on, and I couldn’t stop laughing to apologise and continue teaching…
  2. Saying  “Camel Toes” instead of ‘Camel Pose’ to a crowded room. Total hilarity ensued, along with the best group Camel pose EVER!

What is the best/worst thing about being a Bikram teacher?

Best: Seeing people take control of their bodies for the better and for the long term.
Worst:
Seeing people completely give up way to soon (like first class…). Give it a month and THEN start looking at what’s been happening to you.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Define “grown up’’ please? Actually, I wanted to be a monkey because of their tail and swinging through the trees. I even have the Kindergarten booklet with all our Grown Up Wishes in it. Mine is the only animal. Woop woop!

Word/Phrases you overuse?

Make up some wild and elongated reason for why we’re about to do [pose] ‘in the nude’ . Just because it’s a challenge to get new reasons all the time. I’m still waiting for the Yoga Room Streaker…

Do you remember what your first Bikram class was like?

After 2 car accidents and a year of painful physio, my first class in the heat was totally liberating for every cell of my body. I knew I had found my saving grace. Later when I became a teacher I found that Bikram said “Pain kills Pain”, for me it’s very true, if I don’t get my Bikram classes in weekly my body suffers.