Benefits of the sit up:
- Reinforces and strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- Firms and trims the lower body, where many problem areas, especially for women, reside.
- Increases flexibility of the spine.
- Provides the body with energy.
- works the muscles, ligaments and tendons of the legs and improves circulation there as well.
- Stimulates digestion.
- Open mouth exhalation stimulates diaphragm and eliminates toxins from the lungs.
Bikram Yoga SLC instructor and 2013 Utah Regional USA Yoga Asana
1st Place Champion Carolyn Valencia
Try to stretch further and further with each sit up you do.
For those with back issues, roll to your side and push up on your hands and knees.